Wednesday, March 02, 2011

For Gaye...

About a week ago, I was starting to unload a clean dishwasher when Milo toddled over. My first instinct was to sternly say "no!" There were sharp things, breakable things, just stuff I didn't want him getting into. But in the split second that I hesitated, I heard my friend Gaye's voice in my head, talking about how kids just want to be an active, participating member of their community, however that looks. Gaye is a Montessori teacher and administrator, and though Milo's a little young for some of the programing, this basic lesson struck me.

I took out all the knives and anything else that I was really worried about, and then asked Milo to hand me the spoons and forks out of their basket. He handed me 2 or 3 at a time, and I put them away in the drawer. I grabbed the bigger, heavier ceramic plates out of the bottom, and then told Milo to hand me the smaller ones. After we finished the bottom rack, I pulled out the top rack, put away most of the mugs and glasses pretty fast, and then handed Milo his plastic sippy cups and tops. He has two drawers at the bottom that he has free reign in, one with tupperware, and the other with his cups, etc. in it. I told him to stack his cups and put them in his drawer, and he did!

Great reminder for me that 1) I don't always have to say "no," 2) I can make chores a fun task for both of us, 3) Milo and I make a great team, and best of all 4) he's not always set on making messes :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful revelation! : o ) Way to go Momma
Love, Nana