Friday, January 03, 2014

Theological discussions with a 4-year-old...

While driving in the car today, this is the conversation that occurred between Milo and me while Jude was taking a little baby-reboot.  I'll try and relay it as verbatim as possible:

Milo: Is Jesus in everyone's tummy?
Me: No, you have to ask Jesus into your heart.
Milo: Is God in my tummy?
Me: Have you asked Him to come into your heart?
Milo: Yes.
Me: Then yes, He's in your heart.
Milo: Why do you have to ask Him?
Me: Because He doesn't want to tell you what to do.  He wants you decide if you want Him to come into your heart.
Milo: Will He always be in my heart?
Me: Yup.  He'll never leave you.  Once you ask Him to be with you, He'll always be there.  Like at night when you have scary dreams, and we talk about how you can ask Jesus to be with you and calm your heart so you're not scared.  God wants to talk to you all the time, about whatever you want.  You can talk to God about when you're mad or excited, happy about something or scared.  Yesterday I told Jesus how thankful I was that He gave me two sweet boys who are such great brothers.
Milo: How is God in my heart?
Me: {I'm imaging his brain working out the idea of a tiny man running around in the 4-chambers of his beating heart} God is not always a guy.  Jesus was a man when He came to earth, but now He's just God.  It's kinda tricky to explain, buddy…  God's more like a spirit.  God's kinda like the wind, you can feel Him, but you can't always see Him.  Like when I blow on you, you can feel my breath, but you can't see it, right?
Milo: Yeah…
Me: So God's kinda like that.  You can feel Him, but you can't see Him like a regular person.  I know this is tricky, it's still really tricky for me, that's why I go to church so I can try and figure this stuff out too.  Does that kinda make sense?
Milo: I think so.

{Maybe not, but I'm praying I'm not totally messing with him and Jesus.}

3 comments:

auntie carol said...

What a great Mom you are!

steph said...

I think I've told you the story of Kristi exclaiming excitedly at age 3 or 4 that Jesus was in her heart as she patted her sternum, because she could feel his head right there!!

Great job handling the conversation, Meg!

mom said...

Meg that was amazing, did you feel God's help with that conversation? It sure seems inpired to me!! mom