Wednesday, January 23, 2008

I'm doubting...

So I know it seems like we talk about our silly cats often.  I guess, especially for me, I don't have much of anything particularly interesting to say:  work is work, strenuous, annoying, challenging, but work nonetheless; Mike and I are pretty much the same as we have been for ten years, living day to day, he's still in school (he's really stuck in the ten-years-ago-thing :), no major changes, moves, etc.; our apartment is small and fairly nondescript; no kids yet or on the way; so that leaves our cats...

As we've mentioned in the past, our pleasantly plump applehead siamese, Linus, is getting on in years, and has recently developed a mass on the side of his head.  We took him in a couple of weeks ago as he was slowing significantly, and the vet drained some fluid, gave the poor guy an enema, put him on some antibiotics and bowel lossener, and said his blood work all looked good, and Linus might even feel lots better after we cleared out his GI track. 
Linus felt worse.  He fought, literally, tooth and nail taking his meds, stopped cleaning himself very well, started scratching fur off the side of his head around his mass and thus leaves little spots of blood everywhere, and started getting all boney and old-looking.  Mike and I made the very difficult decision to have him put down.  We made the appointment for this afternoon.  I had to work for a few hours this morning, but now I'm home, planned on soothing and lovin' on Linus for a few hours before loading him into the car to go and get Mike from school and then on to the vets.  
And of course, Linus is more personable today than he has been in weeks.  Presently he's sitting on my legs, purring away.  Does he know?  I know he doesn't...  I've barely seen him awake over the past few days, let alone snuggling and purring.  Have we made the right decision?  What if he's fine, and we're being selfish, not wanting to force feed him pills, clean up after him, etc.?  How do you make a decision like this?  I know this is nothing like with people, but so hard all the same.  In all our years of having pets as a kid, Mom and Dad made these decisions, they were the adults, the parents, they took care of these things.  But now I am responsible for ending a life, all be it feline.  I know this sounds terrible, but I almost wish Linus would've just died so that the responsibility of such a decision was lifted.
So I'm doubting.  And I'm sad...  I'm sure we'll be fine, just what I'm thinking, right now.

7 comments:

Mikey said...

Rest in peace, little buddy. We'll miss you...

Portland Dad said...

whether or not it is harder with people doens't discount how hard it is right now. Both you and Mike are good and wise people so I know your making the right decision, that as well does not make it any easier. It isn't silly to mourn, it isn't silly to cry and be sad, he was well loved while he was alive and he will be well missed when he is gone. My heart goes out to you and mike.

Kate said...

So sorry you guys. Linus was a great cat and outlived most of our original predictions and won mike over to cats, a successful life all in all. How's sally taking it?

Heather said...

Wow. I love you guys. I'm so sorry. Linus was such a great cat. When he stayed with Ralph and Tiva and I in my apartment in Winona for a few months, I will always remember the rumbles that Linus arranged: he and Tiva against Ralph.
Why do these silly furballs make us cry so much?

Anonymous said...

Dear Mike and Meg,
I am so sorry that you had to take Linus in, but he was not comfortable any longer, and you guys truly did the very best you could. I love you both and wish we could be all together right now. take care and see you soon. with love and prayers from, mom

Anonymous said...

Meg and Mike, I know this is a week later, but I shed a few tears for Linus this evening. I hate when pets get old...it is one reason why I struggle with my desire to get a cat. But in the end, the purrs, cuddles and memories definately will last longer than the hurt. Anyways, rest in peace Meezer (as the Siamese cats are called on the rescue sight) Love you guys! Em Cotter

Manda said...

Sweet friend, it isn't silly to be sad about loosing what you love. I once read a story about a boy loosing his dog saying that animals are only on earth a short time because they come already knowing how to love. My heart is with you both. You're loved,
mandalynn