Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Toledo Zoo...

So Mike's boss got us a family pass to the zoo as a welcome gift, and Milo and I have already been 3 times. I love having the pass because I don't feel bad about going just the two of us, I don't feel bad about only going for a little bit, and I'm loving watching how Milo is actually seeing and recognizing some of the animals :) Plus, it's great for me. The Toledo Zooapparently is quite impressive for the size town. Couple of the animals we saw on this trip...

The polar bears in the water are a little tricky to see, but it's a mama and her cub, born earlier this year. Siku, the cub, is a huge draw to the zoo these days, and we haven't gotten to see her yet because it's always been so busy around her, and she always seems to be back in her little cave area. This time though, we went after everyone
was back in school, and it was a beautiful afternoon, so they were diving and playing and wrestling! And there was hardly anyone there. Perfect, times this those when Iso love being at home so that we can take advantage of that kind of thing.

Same deal with the tiger too, I've never seen them up and around, but this
one was all over his lengthy enclosure,and because there was no one else there,Milo and I just watched him from feet away for quite a while. And yes, Milo knows that tigers "roaar!"

We also took a ride on the carousel, which again, we were all alone! The nice older gentleman
let us pick an animal (gorilla, 'cus Milo has a thing for monkeys and it's a little tricky at this point to try and explain the difference between a monkey and an ape) and then took us for our own private
ride. Milo loved it and said "weeee!" I guess that's a good thing because our host said that many kids his age are scared.

I know this seems like such a silly thing, this whole zoo adventure, but as Milo gets older, I'm
realizing how cool this opportunity to be at home with him really is. We can take our own field trips and outings whenever we want to wherever we want. Makes me want to find some other kids who have to be in daycare, and take them with us. Maybe we will...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

What wonderful adventures you can share! I LOVE that you're doing this with Milo! Treasured moments!
Wish I could also join you....
Nana

Heather said...

These pictures are awesome, Meg. Can't wait to go back to the zoo with you guys... maybe in a couple of weeks.

Anonymous said...

where's the pictures of the hippos? mom

Mikey said...

Meg said the hippo pooped in the hippoquarium, so we figured we didn't want to gross out all of the readers

Unknown said...

Zoos + kids = pure bliss. OK, well, maybe not if they are cranky and hungry. But seriously, I think you can go to the same zoo over and over and it never gets old. The animals are always interesting. There's always something different. And baby animals - just bonus. IMO, if you are going to get a membership to anything - zoos are probably at the top of the list, followed by a good children's museum. We don't get to go often enough, b/c the MN zoo is at the other side of the planet - but anyway. I loved your pictures!