Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Christmas traditions...

Mike's parents are coming to us for Christmas, and we're soooooooooooo excited!! Especially because for the first time in a long time, I'm falling back to one of my original loves: special event coordinating. And what better special event than Christmas with Nana and Booka? I've started my lists, things to do divided into 2 sub-lists ofASAP and "by the time they get here," things to bake, things to make, grocery list, and Mike and I worked on the schedule of events, including menus for each day. I know, I know, I'm a little crazy. But I'm excited, and I don't want to forget anything! Plus, I do really think it cuts down on any potential stress or worry when I know what I've got to do, when I've got to have it done, and my favorite, crossing completed tasks off my list.

In and amongst all this, we've started thinking about our own traditions. Which of the Schroeder's do we want to continue on, which of the McGrail's? What will we do differently? So
far, most of our traditions seem
to be centered on food: Steph's
sausage and egg hotdish (this recipe originated in MN, so it will remain "hotdish" though we are now in the land of "casseroles") is on the docket for Christmas morning. French toast fondue maybe Christmas Eve morning from Shirley Bird via the McGrails. And Mike and I love turkey dinners so much, we're looking to establish round 2.

I'm also a sucker for decorations though I'm a little limited in a 900 square-foot condo, so those traditions might wait. I do love my family's tradition of new PJs to open Christmas Eve, and I don't know where this came from, but we always buried a nut in whatever dessert we ate on Christmas Eve, and whoever got the nut in their serving got to "play Santa" and give out all the presents under the tree on Christmas morning. I don't know why that was so exciting, but I distinctly remember Heather always getting the nut and being really disappointed. Christmas Eve service is also on the schedule. I love the evening service with every great carol, the manger scene, and hopefully
candle lighting. I have a warm spot around my heart right now thinking of all those Christmas Eve's...

What are your favorite traditions? What do you remember loving from your childhood? What makes Christmas Christmas for you? Though I must warn you, if you post something I like, I feel I should reserve the right to steal it for our own... :)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I LOVE your Christmas tree & the great pictures you posted!!! Milo is loooking so much bigger & I love that sweet smile! Can't wait to experience all the festivities! Leave some for me to help with! another snow storm here today with 4-6 new inches!! we're buried in snow : o )I have the Christmas carols playing & two poinsettas to make it look festive. My, how different our house is without all the decorations & plans happening here! See you SOON! XXXOOO Steph & Larry

Kayla W. said...

You guys are beautiful, just beautiful!!!!

Anonymous said...

I love your Christmas tree! Was it fresh?
I think one of my favorite Christmas memories involves a hotel somewhere!!? I Can't remember how many christmas' where spent next to hotel swimming pools, but they were always different and fun! love you! mom