Sunday, January 29, 2012

Frogs in my bed!



Mike here. Just wanted to document recent events for posterity.

Lately, Milo has been getting up in the middle night and coming to our room with a reoccurring nightmare. He says there are frogs in his bed. There has been a few times that we have heard him shriek in the middle of the night. Meg was telling me as I was starting my job in NC, Milo had a few of these similar nightmares in Toledo and he was inconsolable. Recently, he has been calmly walking into our room and informing us at 400am that there are frogs in his bed. We usually are able to scare the frogs away and put him back to bed.

It is sorta interesting because he is not inherently afraid of frogs themselves. Meg and Milo recently went to the natural history museum in Raleigh, and they had a reptile and amphibian display which included frogs. Milo apparently touched and handled every one of the animals they had on display. Also, our neighbors in Toledo had some concrete sculptures on their porch that were frogs doing human activities, such as reading a paper or smoking a pipe. Milo would often talk to the sculptures when he passed by them, and would offer them his favorite cars.

The other funny thing is the other day he woke up from a nap and told me there was fish in his bed. I asked which fish were in his bed, and he told me an anglerfish and a pufferfish was in his bed looking at him. I don't know if you have seen pictures of either, but both species are pretty freaky looking to me. I asked him if he was scared, but Milo told me they were friendly anglerfishes and pufferfishes, and they weren't bothering him.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kid's imaginations...can't explain 'em. Betcha he has that incredible, creative mind that you have, Mike. I remember the testing you did for the CAPs program in gradeschool, & the teacher commented she's never seen anything like your creations!!!! : ) Hope they still have programs like that for Milo when the time comes. Mom/Nana

Emily said...

Maybe you should make a sign that says, "No frog Zone" or something to put next to his bed :) Miss you guys! Em

Sarah said...

I've had recurring nightmares about frogs! They started after we stayed in this house up in the adirondacks that had actual dead stuffed frogs posed in different positions like riding a bicycle or playing cards. For some reason I was terrified by those things. I made Logan put them all in a closet! Lol Poor Milo, I can relate!