Thursday, August 10, 2006

My other nephew...


So I mentioned back in July that my sweet friend Kayla had a baby boy, Conner! This past weekend, after a long day of apartment hunting, I had the chance to go meet the little guy. And he's so great! How amazing to me that God not only granted me one nephew in Finn, but another, hopefully I can really be honorary auntie, in Conner.

I am awed by how Kayla too has slipped so gracefully into this mom role. Both she and Kate seem so sure of themselves, so at home and perfectly natural with their little guys in their arms. I guess this is what you call "maternal instinct," but I don't think this is always the case. I have seen women who don't pull this off with such distinction, but both K & K seem perfectly at ease and confident. As they sooth and coo at Finn and Conner, I am soothed and calmed; the environment is contagious. And for a moment I forget the anxiety of not yet being a mom, of worrying that when that time does come, I won't slip into the role so smoothly, that even my inexperienced presence might break the spell of warmth and welcome that hovers over moms.


I've said before that I love pregnant women. But I must rephrase: I love moms. I love expectant mothers, new mothers, old mothers, and everything inbetween. There is something so blessed about parenthood, that I have yet to taste, but I've smelled it. And like the scent of fresh baked bread on the Belizean breeze, I want to be as close to the source of that scent as possible, to bask in the natural beams of moms... Though I'm not sure I'll be tasting in the immediate future; sorry to disappoint, Mom McGrail and Mom Schroeder!

No comments: