Thursday, September 28, 2006

Dunn Brothers, laptop, latte...

So I sit here at "work" at Dunn Brothers Coffee shop; they have free wireless access, so I can actually do my job from this little spot on University Ave. I'm actually feeling quite unmotivated; out of the 14 churches I visited today, two were closed, 11 I only spoke to a secretary, and only at one did I actually talk to a youth pastor. Supposedly Mondays and Fridays are bad days to hit churches, most likely days for pastors to have off, but Thursdays obviously aren't great either. I do like my job; I have the power to make it or not make it, I determine my schedule, who I meet with and when, what I do and when, and yet it's a little disheartening a lot of the time. So much of this is laying a foundation of which I might not see fruits for weeks, months, or even years.

But I do like that today I find myself at a coffee shop, sending emails, making a couple phone calls, and sipping a pumpkin spice latte (James, your blog inspired me when I walked in today). Not that I should really be spending $3.69 on a drink I've almost consumed in about 10 minutes, but Mike's talking about going out tonight, so this means I just won't order a drink if/when we go out. This is logical, right?

People ask what I do... Kinda difficult to answer... I'm a door-to-door salesman, I'm a telemarketer, I send what some might consider spam emails, all the things taht are people's worst pet peeves. But I don't really do any of that. I mean I do, but I don't. I really want people to know about what we do and why. And I want to be used by pastors to benefit their ministries. But at the moment, I feel mostly like the afore mentioned. Is that bad? If you worked at a church and I came in and talked to you, would you hate me? Would I be wasting your time in such an offensive manner?

As I type, the roastmaster at this particular Dunn Bros has just started roasting the beans in a contraption about the size of a refrigerator from the '50's. The gentle humming, swooshing, buzzing is pretty nice. The one problem with my job is times like these, when I really just want to grab a book, listen to the coffee beans whirl, and get lost in distraction. But I guess I have to remember the summer; those trips happened because of moments like these when the boys chose to be effective rather than distracted. Guess I should get back to work...

5 comments:

KristiK said...

Keep your spirits up Megs - you are so much more than a "salesman" of missions. :) You'll see the "fruits" in time. Like the Praying Pelicans website says (I checked it out, not bad - kudo's to the person who created it): "Short-term missions....Eternal Rewards."

I struggle with this weekly- as it is soooo hard to understand at times why Jason is ALWAYS with students, at the church, shooting a video, staying late, working 14 hour days, meetings, on his cell....etc. His job drives me nuts most of the time because of the committments and lack of time with each other....but reading your blog this morning and reading the praying pelicans website reminded me that you are both doing this for "eternal rewards" -to bring kids to Christ. Thanks for the reminder.

I like reading your blog, because it makes me miss you and Mikey less.

If you feel like an extra long road trip any time soon to see J and I, and the Furlers, and the east coast....stop on by anytime. :) We are starting to move into our new townhome tonight!

Love ya.

Anonymous said...

Dear Schmoogs,
after riding with you yesturday, I have to take umbrage with how easy you make your schedule sound!! We covered 20 churches and 60 miles, and I was beat at the end of the day! and I wasn't the one going in and making the personal contacts, with lots of crabby christian secretaries in between. Note to people at the front desk of churches, you are the first face and personality that gives people an idea of your congregation's personality. A little friendliness goes a long long way!

Anonymous said...

Dear Schmoogs,
God works in such funny ways! He just erased my first comment! It was a crabby commentary on "christian people" who represent churches on their front desks!! Better to have it been erased!
Just wanted you to know that I think you worked really hard yesturday, 20 churches, 60 miles, and a few secretaries!! I agree that it is disapointing not to really see the fruit of your work, right now when you are working so hard for a pay check, but Kristi is sure right about the eternal rewards! Keep up the good work, i am very proud of you! Mom

Anonymous said...

whoops, he didn't erase it!! Sorry for previous moment of crabbiness on my part! love mom

Amy said...

Missing you....