Thursday, April 19, 2007

Facades...

I've found that I wear a number of faces depending on my situations, and while journaling and pondering today, I'm posing to you all a question: Facades, good, bad, helpful, or hurtful?

While at work, I try for the happy-go-lucky, interested in everyone, but not too interested, and try not to share too much so that it doesn't come back to bite me, as in recent events. At home, I am mostly myself, but sometimes I do feel the pressure to put on the happy housewife mask, do what I'm asked or told, don't ask for too much, take care of the home, even when I sometimes feel I can barely hold myself together. When I'm with kids, young or mid-adolescent, I put on the vaguely aloof, but cool and entertaining face. When with friends, the easy-going, willing to do almost anything to not be a nuisance mask. With family, the mediator and want everyone to be happy facade.

Not that these are all my faces, nor that any of them are not genuine or not genuinely me, but I am a little different depending on my situation. And I think I've written this in a slightly negative light, not intended, just trying to be truthful with you but more so with me. Is this normal? Do I try to please people so much that I'm not actually me, or am I really just a people pleaser? Does this make me a doormat? How do you be you 100% of the time, even if you don't always like who you are? When is change helpful, and when is it just conforming?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Schmoogs,
This past weekend, I had the immense fun of having the girls from the table of Elizabeth, Great Banquet # 50 for supper. Elaine had talked about personality traits that she had been to a seminar about. You will recognise the types from literature, such a sanquine, choleric (sp?) etc. The original idea dates back to Aristotle I think. Anyway, so interesting, and I particuarly like that it dates so far back, and that I recognise it so well. I will bring you a copy the next time I see You, I know you will enjoy it too.
I frankly think you are a very genuine person, and I really like you. Do I get to see the real face, or mostly a facade? Love you! mom

Jason Kastrounis said...

Meg's faces that aren't facades:

Meg the Encourager
Meg the Listener
Meg the Big Sister
Meg the Geniune
Meg the Minister
Meg the Giver
Meg the Compassionate
Meg the Intellect
Meg the Selfless
Meg the Stinking Awesome

You and all of your faces matter so much to Kristi and I. We love you,
Jason and Kristi