Wednesday, October 27, 2010

We've created a monster...


Though I have no photographic evidence of the following, I am afraid it is true. In a moment of weakness, and in the midst of a nasty head cold, Mike and I put the movie "Cars" on for Milo a couple ofnights ago to assuage a particularly bratty moment before bed. We already knew he liked it because he stared transfixed and made car noises while watching it at Jake's house. And it worked: he settled down, even snuggled in, and sat peacefully next to our lethargic selves for a blessed few minutes before bed that night.

But now the beast has been unleashed. I realized after a few frustrating "conversations" with Milo, that "'ning" means "Lightning" aka the main character in "Cars," and he now demands that it plays most of the time, pleading "'Ning, 'Ning!" while pointing at the TV. In the beginning, not going to lie, I pretended like I didn't know what he was talking about, and truth be told, I didn't, but then even when I figured it out, I still plead ignorance. But my inadequacies in deciphering his vernacular did not bode well with my 1-year-old.

We try to keep him away from the TV, he has plenty of mind stretching toys and books, and
most of the time, he wouldn't care one way or the other if the TV was on or not. But now Pandora's box is open. What is the best balance between nerdy book but potentially socially inept kid, and over stimulated but culturally relevant kid? Eh...

In the meantime, here are some cute, pics, nothing from the past week; unfortunately I have
misplaced my camera case, and with it our attachment which allows us to download pictures from the camera, so deal with these in the meantime...

2 comments:

Laura said...

But Meg, he is just so cute, how could you tell him no movies? (:

Anonymous said...

Don't be so down on TV, it's not that bad. Even the best supermom like yourself can't be source of entertainment and knowledge every waking minute of Milo's day...you need a break. And while a lot of people are against TV (I used to be), I think it's a good thing after what I've seen in Sophia. We started her on Baby Signing Time at six months and she was doing the entire 1st DVD at 8 months. We got her Your Baby Can Read, and she's actually starting to read some. We really like Nick Jr, because all the shows are educational. At 18 months, she counted to 20 in english and 10 in Spanish because of Dora the Explorer (we hadn't even been teaching her above 3 yet. The shows, while annoying can interact with the child during the times when you can't. TV also interacts with your kid that you might never think of, and we all know that people learn in different ways. Now I agree that plopping your kid in front of some worthless Sponge Bob is bad for kids, but I think TV has many benefits.

Trags