Monday, May 29, 2006

A few of my non-McGrail sisters...


Most of you probably know this, but when we first moved up to Duluth, I started working with the youth group at my church. Yesterday, one of "my girls" got married. It was so beautiful, so perfect. I journaled about it last night, I think I'll just copy some out of my journal...

"Kayla Kurtz got married today. Mr. and Mrs. Derek Whitaker, Kayla Whitaker. Crazy to think about these last years. Wild to think about the talks we've had, over coffee in Excelsior, in Belize, taking senior pictures. Kim Knuth thanked me today for being in her daughter's life [Sarah Knuth was the maid of honor, and Kristin Milbrath and I were bridesmaids]. I should have thanked her for making such a beautiful daughter, that I would have the opportunity in interact with such a beautiful soul. I'm grateful for the fact that these students' parents note my encounters with their kids, but really, if I could only share with them how truly blessed I am, how Kristin, Kayla, and Sarah enrich my soul. I think back on all of this, how I started hanging out with the students at Lakeview thinking God might be calling me into youth ministry. And He did, a slightly different kind that I first anticipated, but that He started me on that path so that I would cross paths with these girls, these young women, who have forever changed me and my life. Who challenge me to be a better version of myself, not only because they seem to look up to me [because I'm practically ancient to them], but because they are already eons ahead of me. Who may be young in years, but not in life. These young women are not my students; they are my girls, my little chickens, my sisters, my friends. I started down this path thinking I would help others, and I may or may not have succeeded in that endeavor, but I am full. My cup runs over. I guess this is what happens when you seek after God and what He wants; whether it ends up how you expected or not, He brings so much joy along the way. So many exceptional moments. So many smiles, laughs, and tears. Today was one of those exceptional moments. Congratulations Kayla, Derek, and Conner; thanks for being such a huge part of my life."

8 comments:

Amy said...

Meg, you bring me to tears! I am so glad to hear that the wedding was wonderful. I'm glad to have journeyed with you, for a short time, in the land of youth ministry. You remind me of how much we stand to receive when we just step out of ourselves and give, what we've got right now, from where we are right now.

Love to you!

Amy said...

"Amy Patrick's Organic Pan Blog"?????

Mike, I was actually thinking of you today when I was scrubbing the gross mess of my scrambled eggs out of my pan.

It's seven-ply stainless steel, not organic.

Meg Schroeder said...

I love you, Amy! We have been through a lot, CHIC, MUUUCE, many a Wednesday night, Koinania, and oh so much more. That's just the youth ministry stuff. You're the one that kept me sane so many times. Thank you! And you put up with my husband!

Mikey said...

Stainless steel has carbon, therefore its Organic.

:P

Anonymous said...

I Love You Mother Hen!!!

Anonymous said...

Meg, I am sure my dad will appreciate that pic of him and me all dressed up. He said to me just the other day, "you know, there arent that many pictures of just me and you." So I am certain that this will make him very happy! Thanks Meg, for everything. SOO many comments on how beautiful the flowers were. And Jon, the pastor, said to me and Derek "You can tell a lot about a person by who they surround themselves with, and you sure had a great group of ladies up there with you which doesnt surprise me in the least!" Plus, they loved your speech..."so articulate" they said. Haha. Well thanks again. I love you lots, and all our prayers for you and Mike while you head to Belize to spread the great word of God!! You'll have to hold Naomi's baby when you go to Democracia, and get a pic! Say hi for me! Thanks for everything, love you lots!!!

Kayla, Derek, & Conner

Anonymous said...

Meg, once again I need to tell you thanks for the awesome flowers. I pray that all goes well for you both in Belize.

Chuck

Amy said...

Mike and Meg,

Wanted you to know I'm thinking about you and your arrival in Belize. Hope all is going well....

Love from Utah.