Saturday, July 01, 2006

T minus two hours to craziness...

Mike here again:

Well, officially certified as a open water scuba diver. The last two dives were fantastic thanks to some sea sickness drugs and a new regulator. The last two dives were at Hol Chan Marine Reserve (means Little Channel I guess in Mayan). Didn't get a waterproof camera, but the pics on the website sort of gives you an idea. We were actually diving over the reef in an area where it more or less was a canyon with beautiful coral up and down the sides, at about 65 ft underwater. Saw a sea turtle, some nurse sharks, a huge grouper that was getting its teeth cleaned, and a happy lobster.

Speaking of happy lobster, Meg has become the unofficial critic and guide on where to get grilled cheese in Belize. (Insert Mandy Cuda saying: "I WANT GRILLED CHEEEEESE!") Meg and I spent quite a bit of time trying out different restaurants on Caye Caulker for our various meals. Being that Chicken with Rice and Beans is the official meal of Belize, Meg was hankering for a bit of American food. The first grilled cheese Meg had on Caye Caulker was the Happy Lobster Grilled Cheese that Heather brought to her when Lakeview was down in Belize. Meg thoroughly enjoyed that one, even while sick, but that did not satisfy the craving. While I was trying to be adventurous and try different Belizan fare, Meg ordered Grilled Cheese Sandwiches on 3-4 occasions. To her disappointment a majority of the time, the grilled cheese came with two slices of white bread with a single slice of american cheese. Oh the humanity! So Meg highly recommends the Happy Lobster grilled cheese sandwich where the put on more than one slice of american cheese. OK...maybe I'm not being totally serious, but Meg did order grilled cheese several times on Caye Caulker. Love you honey!

Also, thanks to several fans of the blog (you know who you are), Meg posted a while back that she felt like Peanut M&M's. Lo and behold, when Lakeview came down, Meg recieved her weight in M&M's. A big thank you to the Knuth's, the Milner's, and the McGrails for smuggling a piece of Americana through Belizan customs. The Praying Pelican Staff also thank you...(just when we thought we were losing weight). Now, I have a craving for a Chipotle burrito, some Greenmill wings, and...

Don't really try to send those to Belize.

Well, the 120 that are coming down from Houston are almost here. We might be taking a short break from the blog because we will be running around like madmen (and madwomen). Please pray that all the pieces will fall into place. We're really counting on God on this one to pull us through.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg and Mike!! I had such a great week with you guys last week. Thank you so much for doing what your doing and for being who you are! I want you to know you guys are really changing peoples lives! My prayers are with you in the coming weeks. I cant wait to spend evenings at the campfire with you this August! LOVE YOU!!!

Amy said...

Thinking of you both.
--amy

Amy said...

Still thinking of you during this very busy week! Do hope that all is going well. Things here are looking up. Thanks for your very encouraging words, Meg. It's nice to be reminded that you know me so well. --Amy

Svoblogger said...

Mike -
I called Green Mill, ordered 2 orders of Diablo 'no bones' wings and asked if they delivered. They said yes, so I said to deliver one to my house and the other to Belize. Then the guy got really huffy with me. After arguing for a few moments about whether or not they could deliver to Belize I finally said "Fine! Just deliver both orders to my house and I WILL figure it out".

They were delicious!
eric

Amy said...

Your week is almost over, looking forward to hearing how it went. Love from the land of the Mormons.

Mikey said...

DOH! I saw a guy in Belize with a greenmill sign on his car and MN license plates. I was wondering what he was doing down here!

Anonymous said...

You guys look like you are doing good! I just moved to my new apartment. I'm enjoying air conditioning. ha! Though you are both doign something amazing for people, so I guess I should poo poo myself. Nice beard Mike! Medgs, I didn't forget you got a year older. Your present is waiting for you at home in MN!
Love you both!

mandy said...

There is no replacement for a good grilled cheese sandwich when either sick, tired, burnt-out, or any combination of the above. It is true comfort food!

Anonymous said...

You know that part of the problem is that you will not find as good a grilled cheese sandwich as the one your mommy makes for you! It must be accompanied by dill pickle, potatoe chips (no ridges) and tomato soup! I learned from the best! Gramma Sue! Sorry to hear about the misadventures of the guy trying to deliver in Belize! We will treat you to all the wings you can eat when we see you in Madison, Mikey! Love YOu both Mom