Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Yes, you can puke into a regulator

Well, two classes down, one more to go to being a future scuba-steve. Yesterday was awesome...we dove down only 20 ft however, and practiced a bunch of drills. Today, we were diving to 40ft in the Caye Chapel canyons. Mucho waves, and I was having problems with my regulator before desending down into the dark waters. The instructor told me to switch over to the alternate regulator which I did. However, when I was underwater, I noticed that the regulator was sort-of leaking a little bit. Needless to say, I probably swallowed a gallon of sea water, and the combination of the waves and the seawater made me a little queezy. I would go into more elaborate descriptions, but I rather not relive it myself. Don't worry Mom and Mom-mcgrail...I'm OK, and will live to see another day. Nothing too bad, but nothing like feeling sick to ruin your scuba experience.

OK, for public interest, here's a map with all the places circled where we have done mission work some way or another:



Oh yes, we've been to Belize City as well, but no missionary work there. The "Lloyd" resideth there, pastoring Queen Street Baptist. (He's a Belizean contact that is a big-wig in the Baptist circles.) For a fun game, replace any verse with "Lord" or "the Lord" with Lloyd...he thinks it's funny everytime, and so do I. (ie. "The Lloyd giveth and taketh away.") We'll be sure to put up a picture of him before we leave.

And now a message from Meg:

I can't believe Mike, and Matt for that matter, all that stuff about Lloyd sounds sacreligious. Though oddly appropriate most of the time. Pastor Lloyd has been instrumental in ministering to the Belizean people all over the country for years. He and his fabulous wife Nancy are godly, loving, amazing people who will be friends for as long as they choose to claim to know us. Lloyd even paid me a huge compliment, once giving just a short sermon to us at lunch, talking about the burning bush and how it directed Moses to God and God's will. Lloyd talked about how "any bush will do," he looked right at me and said, "that one's burning right there." He's a great guy, great heart for the Lord, with a great sense of humor.

Mike and I are winding up our little "vacation" so don't expect to get daily updates all the time now... Especially with the Houston trip next week. Oiy, 126 people, seven of us staff. I'm actually not that worried; can't be worried when we don't know what to expect. I'm sure it will be fine, but a few extra prayers wouldn't hurt.

Crazy to think we've only got three weeks left. Was just writing in my journal how easy it is to live here, not that Mike and I demand that much. But I think this is the closest thing to the US, outside of the US I've encountered thus far in my limited travels. Sometimes I forget that I am out of the country. The hardest thing is not having easy access to all of you.

We love you and miss you; thanks again and again for all the prayers!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss you, Meg. But it sounds like things are going amazing. I just saw all of Sarah's pics and it makes me miss it all so much...even from last year. No baby yet...unfortunetly, I am so sick of waiting...and waiting...my ankles have official become tree trunks..(stop laughing..it's not funny). :) Anyways, that flower money was sent with a little note of explanation to your mom in law. Thanks for everything, I can't wait to see you when you come back to the states. Love you lots!!
Kayla

Anonymous said...

Mike ~
this scuba diving makes me Sooooooo nervous!!!! Please be careful & come out of this alive!

Love Ya ~ Mom

Amy said...

"They call him Mich.ael..Sch..RAY..der!" I'm singing you Sally's tune and thinking of you. --Amy

Mikey said...

Mom:

I made it out alive, and the last two dives were fantastic. Plus, I'm now an official, card-carrying scuba diver :)

I'll blog about it later.

--Mike

Meg Schroeder said...

Kayla-
Thanks tons; sorry about the cost! Still praying for you guys! Can't wait to hear all about my new "nephew"-- can I be an honorary auntie? Glad to hear that things are going well, would love to see your hot ankles right now ;)

Amy--
I love that I can hear your voice when you say that!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for surviving the dives, Mike! I'm glad the last two dives were all you imagined. (I hope) I had the "Mom's Group" praying for ya after that first experience!!!
How's the lungs? clear? Hope you have what you need. Congrats on the Certification, though. We're covering you all in this busy week ahead. Love ya, Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey, MEG!!! I finally found your site after many weekends at the flower shop.. seeing it & forgeting to bring it home to see all about your trip. It all looks amazing! Reading your blags is great, I can almost HEAR you telling all the stories! Sorry to hear about the Scuba vs Puking incident. That will be one you will tell for years to come I imagine! (You have SOO many GUESS WHAT?! stories by now!) You are missed so much! The pics of you are great. It is good to see your smiley face! Take care, I will keep checking on your site (I love it). Denise

mandy said...

Glad you made it through, Mike. The diving, I'm sure, made the puke worthwhile, right?

mandy said...

Glad you made it through, Mike. The diving, I'm sure, made the puke worthwhile, right?