Saturday, June 24, 2006

Life in Paradise...?

So we've made it to our week off, we've sent the Lakeview team and Heather home :( , and now Mike and I are on Caye Caulker for the week with the forecast for rain and scattered thundershowers for the entire time we're here. And I've acquired one of the worst headcold/sinus infections I've had, maybe since Kate's wedding. Oh well, lots of sleep, AC, reading, and maybe some TV. I guess this is God's way of saying "take it easy." Because of the headcold, we most likely will not be scuba certified this week, much sadness from Mike, and much guilt from Meg... I just can't imagine what any more pressure might do to my already exploding sinuses. I feel really bad though, for those of you who don't know, this is Mike's dream, next to owning his own brewery, he wants to swim with the manitees. Maybe I'll use this as leverage to get him to come back next year... Good thing he's reading over my shoulder; there's no surprises.

We finished pretty strong with Lakeview. This year was amazing in the village. The group reached depths with conversations and relationships I didn't know that we would. This rough and tough little pocket of people has softened and begun to let people in. The mom's group, that's been going for the past two years, really allowed women who wouldn't normally talk to each other, let alone open up and be vulnerable, to share openly and honestly. There are men coming in and around the church; for those who are unfamiliar with this culture, it's pretty common all around Belize for men to think they are too strong, too big to come to church. For men and young men to be coming and listening and participating in the services is miraculous for anywhere in Belize, put just plain wholy from God in La Democracia.

And my relationship with Locette continues to go. I'm not sure where. She tells me these things about the people in the village, her sort of in-laws, her boyfriends parents, but then I see these people and I have such a hard time imaging the things she says. I know that most people probably put their pretty faces on for the foreigners, but how much can they hide? Or how much of what Locette says is true? Maybe she craves the attention? Maybe I'm too cynical; it's hard for me to discern. I guess we'll pray and see what happens with time. In Belize, that's all a lot of these people have, time.

My friend Janell is here with us for a couple of nights, trying to recoup and regroup in the midst of her seven-week stint. She's missing home. I try and be strong for her; she needs things I can't give, but I know she'll make it. She's a lot stronger than she thinks she is, but all the same, if you could add her to your prayers, I would greatly appreciate it.

I miss home too. Not our house, thank goodness, but all of you, and all the familiars of the US. I'm so lucky that Mike is here. God really does bless us in marriage; my home is him. I would never be able to do this if he wasn't here, and sometimes I wonder if Praying Pelicans wouldn't rather hire him this fall. He's a lot tougher than I am these days, doesn't cry as much, and can do construction. He really has been amazing this summer, I wish all of you could see him in action. Let alone with a beard and all tan. Pretty cute. But amazingly selfless and hard-working and way more outgoing and people-centered than he gives himself credit for. I think the Lakeview crew was a little surprised by this bearded wonder. Who was that hairy man who made so many jokes and carried so much water all over the countryside? That's my man, Superman, only with a beard. And minus the tights... ich.

Thanks again for all the prayers, support, lovin' on the blog, and the treats that so many of you sent down. Can't tell you how much it means that so many of you want to keep up with us. We love you!!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Meg,

So good to read your latest entry and get caught up on some of the happenings in your world. I'm glad you've got this week to recoup. Do you have antibiotics? I hear a bit of exhaustion in your words. What an amazing experience for you and Mike. I'm only sorry I'll never really understand what it's been like for you. But I will keep praying -- health for you and perseverance as you finish out your time there.
Summer's been very tough on me with all of our travel and unending guest load. There's lots more to say, but later, when we can have a conversation and cry together, perhaps. I am definitely missing you!

Love you, Amy

Anonymous said...

I miss you and Belize already. I pray that you are better... Mike is still having fun, I hope?
Mom and Dad picked me up from the airport and have been debriefing me since Friday; they are so great. We borrowed a neighbor's boat and were out on the lake a bit today. It was quite relaxing.
I love you and pray for you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

I miss you and Belize already. I pray that you are better... Mike is still having fun, I hope?
Mom and Dad picked me up from the airport and have been debriefing me since Friday; they are so great. We borrowed a neighbor's boat and were out on the lake a bit today. It was quite relaxing.
I love you and pray for you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

I miss you and Belize already. I pray that you are better... Mike is still having fun, I hope?
Mom and Dad picked me up from the airport and have been debriefing me since Friday; they are so great. We borrowed a neighbor's boat and were out on the lake a bit today. It was quite relaxing.
I love you and pray for you,
Heather

Anonymous said...

Dear Schmoogzie,
You sound like you could use a back scratch from your mom! Wish I was there, but so sorry that you are sick. I pray that Mike got to go scuba-ing, even if it meant going with out you. Please take care of each other and keep up the good work! We will pray all week for the big TexAS GRoup, that they are easy to herd, and take orders real well! hang in there, and i can hardly wait to take you to the waterfront on the boat for a beer. Can i say that? Love you both Mom