Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Quick note from San Ignacio...

Just brought the Lakeview trip to Xunantunich, Mayan Ruins right near Guatamala boarder. And then we stopped back at Hanna's across from the Mallorca for massive quesadillas. Kinda fun to be back here again, really getting the feel of "living" in Belize. We can actually find our way around, we interact with Belizean traffic fairly effectively, though I must say I'm still a more aggressive and therefore safe driver here than Mike is :) Pretty fun tooling around in our little red pick-up, also known as Bubba.

We had an evening service last night in Democracia. I ended up outside the church with my friend Locette as her baby, Dolly, had started screaming. We talked for some time, and she opened up as she never had before. Her's is a life of abuse, unhealthy relationships, and trying to balance the safety of her three girls and any sense of happiness. She loves her daughters whole-heartedly, and I see that she is and tries to be the best mom that she can be. Her circumstances are not beneficial; I struggle with her a little, but more than anything, I ache for her situation. It's not fair, and it continues to be not fair. And there is nothing I can do but pray. I know that God is bigger than all that we might encounter on this earth, but man, I can see why people wonder if He is just too far away or is not listening. How do I bring light to this young woman's life? How do I as an upper-middle class white girl, who was blessed with the best family anyone could ask for, who has the best husband in the whole world who loves me and takes such great care of me, who has been handed everything to me on a platter, what do I have to offer these broken people? How blessed am I to simply have not experienced what they experience?

Pray for these people, pray for light and love. Pray that I might not be overwhelmed by the darkness in their lives. Pray that I might not be able to do anything, but that God might be able to do anything...

5 comments:

Amy said...

Meg, I am praying for you. I am praying that God would do all that you can't. And that you would just let go and let him continue to use you in ways that he sees fit.

I love you,
Amy

Anonymous said...

Amen,Amen,Amen,and Amen. mom

mandy said...

I'm praying for you, Meg about 18 hours before anything happens (Fiji is across the date line).

Anonymous said...

Dear Meg and Heath,
I have a very funny story to tell you about the great cat roundup of 2006!!
Love mom

Manda said...

Blessings to you, sweet friends. You (and the Lakeview team) are in my thoughts and prayers. Ps 121: 1-2