Thursday, June 15, 2006

Happy Lobster...

Ah, another day on the Caye. This past trip went so fast; so busy, long days, and a shorter trip. And Lakeview starts tomorrow!! We had some good snorkling today, unlike last week. Though got burned even through my 48 spf sunblock... Grrrrr... But we had lunch at the Happy Lobster, and I'm thinking I'll have time for a hammock nap before our leaders' meeting, so really, life is good. So I'm a lobster, just ate some lobster, probably swam with some lobsters, and now I will go sleep... not like a lobster, but in a hammock.

In doing a little processing last night after our last night on ministry in Santa Elana, I realized how much I am loving this experience, though struggling through at times. I've realized that I sometimes get caught off-guard by the surprising differences in denominations within the church, and I feel so blessed to have grown up in the faith environment that I did. Thanks Mom and Dad. But there are those shining moments when I forget about those details, I am uninhibited by the boundaries of the church, and I am able to love fully those I come in contact with. I never thought of myself as a person good with kids, but down here, something happens to me. Maybe it's the fact that these kids need love and attention so much. Maybe it's because they respond so easily to the smallest extra notice. Maybe my biological clock is starting to tick. All I know is that their were a few kids at the church this week that latched on and didn't let go until we left.

There were Alisha and Ashley (see picture to right), two sisters who were a little hardened by their life in this bigger town. They were learning at a very young age that it's a dog eat dog world, but once they were in my lap, they wouldn't budge. There is Meliza who was our little helper all week; assisting us in locating kids belonging to missing craft projects, passing out materials, keeping kids out of the kitchen, occassionally tattling on an evil doer. She told me last night that I was her favorite and she would miss me when I was gone. There is Michelle and Demi and Erica, junior high aged girls who insisted on singing to us Tuesday night a couple of praise songs they had learned complete with actions. Michelle said she was coming to the states this summer and she wanted my address so that she could come and find me. I'm realizing more and more how small Belizeans think the US is. If they have a friend or a relative from Miami, they don't understand why I wouldn't know them; really, how far can Miami be from Duluth? Michelle also made a special trip to the church after the service last
night to show us her parrot, Minty, who she had colored his/her head with markers, because she wanted him/her to be more colorful. She also introduced me to her mom, who said that Michelle hadn't stopped talking about me since the evening before. How she was going to church with Megan.

Last night, the group did an evening service out under the lights of a football (soccer) field. I rotated between Meliza, Alisha, and Armin (cutest little guy, so shy, just wanted to be near me, have me close enough to touch or hold him) on my back. After the end of the service, we were giving and receiving hugs goodbye. Before I knew it I was mobbed with little bodies, some I knew and already loved, others I had not seen before. Seems like as soon as one thinks something is great, all the others do too. At first they were only trying to get close enough for a hug, then they were tackling, and before I knew it, I was on the ground, covered by these beautiful little souls. And I couldn't stop laughing. My heart is filled with the simple joy of those kids...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What BEAUTIFUL pictures! The joy in your soul just shines for Jesus, dear Meg! You truly are in the right place. We continue to pray for you both knowing God has His hand upon you.
Love you Guys!

Anonymous said...

grandma p.says -
i'll continue to pray for you both.your pictures were great!
love you both

Anonymous said...

Dear Schmoogs,
I miss you and miss being there with you! you do a great job of describing the fun and joy those kids are! They love what you guys bring to them, so many things, but most of all yourselves! Keep up the good work, and please post a picture of Mikey. I hear he is looking very sexy these days!
OOps, sorry Steph!!! Hi to you guys and especially to Gramma Peterson. Hope you are all well! You must go down with these guys next year! You will be so glad,proud and blessed!!!
Kris

mandy said...

Mom-
I can't believe the stuff you write on the internet...Meg, you are a great writer and I'm so happy that you've had those beautiful kids to fill your heart while you are there.

Anonymous said...

Dear Mandaroo,
what did I say????
How's fiji? Where can I go to read your blog? I wonder if you have been too busy to write a blog? Sure did see some cute pix of Dr.Mean/kaneen! Take care and don't catch anything! Loveyou!! Mom

Anonymous said...

Hey Megan and Mike!!
Was fun to see pics and read your notes. Glad to hear you're feeling better Megan! Scuba diving Mike!! Wooo Hooo!
What a fast paced culture we have, even back in Duluth. I long for the lazy schedules of Belize... maybe next summer! God bless and keep you both safe! Hope the 126 group does well.