Monday, June 19, 2006

Life in Democracia with Nick Nolte...

Ah yes, we are coasting now. My home church, Lakeview Covenant is down now, along with a group from Spicer, MN, continuing a three year relationship with a little village called La Democracia. This is a tiny village, about 400 people. We've been able to see this little dark spot grow into the light over the past few years. The church building has started to look and feel more like a church with each year; this year we have finally put in electricity; two lights were put in shortly after we left last year, along with the rest of the windows and doors. Actual bathrooms were installed, that work most of the time, and already this week we've put in 6 ceiling fans, painted most of the outside of the church, and we've begun installing more lights. In the past we've had to hold any night services outside on the basketball court because of the lack of lights, but last night, we were able to hold our first evening service inside the church. And man, with those fans blowing, you don't even get mosquitoes in there; praise the Lord!!

This trip is happening a little earlier than it usually does for our church; Pastor Lloyd Stanford from Queen Street Baptist Church in Belize City, has been working on this church plant for years, and he asked if our group would come at this time to aid in preparing for and some participation in the official dedication of this church. What an amazing event, and what an honor to be there. The dedication service was Saturday afternoon. The afternoon officially started with a ribbon cutting (ladies from Dunbar's, you'd be very proud of the tule bow and ribbon I assisted in putting across the front doors of the church; I'll see if I can get a picture later). So neat: Pastor Lloyd's wife, and our fearless Praying Pelican Missions leader, Matt Pfingsten were asked to do the honor of the actual cutting of the ribbon. And then the service commenced with music, much thanks to all involved, including Lakeview, several speakers, much prayer, more music, and then followed by a great time of fellowship, and of course eating out on the basketball court behind the community center.

Of note to our group from '04, I noticed a teenage girl who looked very familiar up in the choir from Queen Street Baptist. I knew I was right in my identification, so after the service I went up and said hi to Kecia, Keith's not so little daughter and sister to Kedel. She was amazed that I remembered her name, said she was doing well, that her brother was well, and shyly disappeared. Funny, she wasn't nearly that shy the last time we saw her!

Also at the service, we saw many friends from across the country. Pastor Manny, Yolanda, Cecelio, Desol, and Kenroy from Santa Elena were all there; so good to see all of them again. Sounds like we might get to swing by and see them tomorrow on our way back from the Mayan Ruins.

Brenda Hyde, who lost her daughter right before our trip last year, and her family continue to be pillars in this community and welcome us so graciously. Great to see so many old friends. Locette, a young mom I've spent some significant time with, and her three daughters are around as much as we are there; I think she is desparate for a friend. She's indicated to me on a few different occasions that she struggles fitting in with this tiny community. I've even picked up on some racial tenisions; she's mostly hispanic and seems to clash with some of the black families. And so many of our "little" friends continue to grow taller, all of a sudden, not so little any more. But great to be on familiar group.

You're probably wondering at this point why in the world I've titled this life with Nick Nolte. A few of you have asked for pictures of Mike, sorry about that, most of the time, he's sweaty and doing construction, not as cute for pictures as me with little kids, no offense Mike. Plus, you may or may not recognize my mission-esque husband. He lost his razor at some point the first or second week. We did eventually find it, but at that point he said it was past the "itchy" stage, and he has decided to keep it for the time being. Dad McGrail, you'd be so proud. So Mike is very tan, his hair is a little bushy and his beard is longer than I've ever seen it. He's started saying he looks a little like Nick Nolte in his mug shots... I just think he's pretty cute. But Terry, the youth pastor from Lakeview has started calling him "Nick." I'll see if I can get a picture for you...

Some exciting news from the homefront: Mandy arrived safely and has started work in Fiji; my boss from Gap had a beautiful baby girl named Mira; and I turned 26 today. Thanks to the many of you who responded to my not so subtle hints at M&M's (Stacy, Heather, Mom and Dad, and Sarah and Kim Knuth). You guys are awesome!! Kim, thanks for the sweet note, Larry and Steph, thanks for the much needed supplies and the card (wearing the Keens right now), and Mom and Dad, thanks for the beautiful cards. Dad, don't think I've ever seen so much of your writing in one place; you guys are the blessings. Lots of love from Belize...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

dEAR Moogsie,
Happy, happy birthday! I thought of you all day today, and I even got dottie reading the blog! Sorry I didn't call this A.m. but I forgot to ask dad for the number! Hi to all especially Heather and Mikey! Linus,Sally,George, Gracie and Molly all say HappyBirthday and send their best wishes and Love!~
Keep up the good work and please keep writing! Love you MoM

Amy said...

Happy Birthday to my dear Megan! I am sure Belize is a fabulous place to spend it, hanging out with and doing the things you love the most.

I can hear your voice coming across in your writing. Sounds like you are having an amazing, life-changing summer.

Life is Utah is tough as ever. We celebrated our anniversary in San Diego and had a good time doing so.

Looking forward to continuing to keep up with you.

Much love, my friend.
--Amy

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!!
Your birthday falls right between the two men in my life- Kyle's on the 21 and Scooter's was on the 16! ha ha. Can you tell Heather- I thought of her on her b-day too with lots of favorite memories. I love you both. We're praying for you. Love, Sarah

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Meg, Sorry I didn't quite get your birthday present sent down with Heather. Time has been sort of bizzarre lately, moving quickly and slowly in turns. It's so good to read about your trip and we can't wait to see you later this summer.

We love you!!
Kate, James and Finn

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Meg, Sorry I didn't quite get your birthday present sent down with Heather. Time has been sort of bizzarre lately, moving quickly and slowly in turns. It's so good to read about your trip and we can't wait to see you later this summer.

We love you!!
Kate, James and Finn

mandy said...

I'll look forward to seeing mike with a beard. Is he going to keep it?