Monday, June 26, 2006

A few updates from Caye Caulker...

Well, some official sad news: I cannot dive this week. Ended up going to see Dr. Johan Perez here on the island and have been officially diagnosed with accute sinusitis and bronchitis, which means it's too risky for me to dive. We've missed our window for the private classes, so now Mike's only hope is that another guy didn't show this morning for the existing class. If he doesn't show again this afternoon, Mike's in. Pray that he gets it; I feel so bad that I might be the reason he doesn't get to get in on this dream sooner rather than later.

While we've been at the dive shop, Belize Diving Services, we've been getting to know Dawn and Kathy, the owners. Dawn is a retired widow who became friends with Kathy during a dive, and they always talked about opening a shop when the retired, so now they have. They've also become the islands Humane Society, saving and sponsoring many dogs and cats, including Tom Tom... (picture to right; he's held by Dawn... and he's teething) Dawn and Kathy are great people with great hearts; if anyone is ever interested in this kind of thing and are looking for a place to go, come see these two.

Janell and I decided to take advantage of the partly cloudy day yesterday and headed back towards the Anchorage Resort, where we stay with the trips, to make use of their hammocks and beach chairs. Elvira, Raphael's wife, the great Christian man who helps to run the Anchorage, graciously waived the $5 (Belize dollars, $2.50 US) that non-guests usually have to pay to utilize their facilities. We grabbed some chairs, she in the sun, me avoiding the sun at all costs, and napped, read, and enjoyed the sounds of the distant waves hitting the reef. Here's (to the left) my hammock nap, finally!

And my views from the hammock... Ah, yes, this is what it's like to decompress. And we even had some company from some local wild life...












So Mike and I are doing pretty well on this little break, aside from the diving disappointment. We're preparing as much as we can for the mammoth trip to start this Saturday, 126 people from Houston. That's like 3 of our typical trips in one. We'll be needing lots of prayer for that one...

Thanks again and again for all your prayers, thoughts, and support. Amy, I'm thinking about you this summer and your many visitors; hang in there, I love ya! Manda L., still thinking of you every day at one o'clock; can't wait to hear if there's anything new! Mom and Dad, really appreciated you last night as we devoured almost an entire bag of M&M's. Larry and Steph, still eternally grateful as I wear and get so many compliments on my green Keens. Larry, remember: P=Park (from your son). Kyle and Scooter, happy belated birthdays, and Sarah, hope everything's going great with the new house. Mandy C., keep up the great work with all those cute Fiji kids; I'm so proud of you. Heather, nice work on another successful missions trip; I'm so proud of you too, and I'm sorry I was crabby while I was sick! Kate and James, the house is looking great (nice work Mark), and can't wait to see you in August. Gaye and Mego and crew, hope GA's nice, I miss you already; sorry it was only a phone call before we left. Knuths, can't wait to spend some QT with some fellow ice cream fiends. Jansons, still can't thank you enough for all you guys did for us before we left. Kristin, happy early birthday, hope the grad party goes great!! Kayla and Derek, still praying for you all and Connor; can't wait to hear the news! Trags, still can't believe this blog reaches you and Sara in Italy; hope all is well there. I know I've missed people, sorry about that; I'm starting to think you all might start skimming. Love you all...

1 comment:

Manda said...

hey, sweet friend- love the updates and pictures. You had breakfast with Nick Nolte? What does Mike think of that? :) Its fun to hear the Lakeview stories. Thanks for praying. Grandpa died on 21 June. Miss you. Mandalynn