Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Raising the roof...

Wow, twice in two days, I'm so excited to be talking to you all again so soon! I'm sitting in a nice cool (literally) little internet boutique around the corner from our hotel, the Mallorca (pronounced "my-yor-ka"). The group has been hard at work today, I think I mentioned in the last installment that they've been doing construction; they are actually putting a roof on part of the church. The cross beams and supports are starting to be put up. Doesn't look like this group will be able to finish it in the time that they have here, but Matt (Praying Pelican head dude and our team leader this week) was telling me that even getting the funds donated and having a group here to start the work gives great motivation to the Belizeans we are working with. Great big thanks to Cecelio, Bobby, and Kenroy (who just put a nail into his heel this AM and had to be taken to the clinic to get a shot, assuming tetnus?) our members from the church who have been instrumental in managing this project. They will be our continuation thru to the end of the project. In not completing the project, it actually helps to keep our Wisconsin team invested in the church and town as well; they will continue to ask about and keep up with the congregation in follow-up to "their" project.

Thank you all for your many prayers; we've been needing them and sensing them. God has been so good in keeping us healthy and motivated. I have to admit, this is pretty difficult work. Physically it's tough; for those of you who have never been to Belize, it's reasonably hot, but ridiculously humid all of the time. And when the sun comes out, your most recent shower seems pointless, and you count the moments until your next. Emotionally it's a little rough too; we try very hard to interact and bond with every individual of each group afresh, each week. And then they leave, and we have to start all over again. Not to mention the relationships with the Belizeans that we build and commit to, we just start to really know and love these individuals, and then we have to leave. And we as staff don't exactly know if we will see this place and these people again. And spiritually, I do feel like God has granted an over-abundance of grace and perserverance in my walk. I find that He fills me when I least expect it and with little effort on my part. I do have to admit, we do count the days until Caye time... But we're doing great, time flies. My buddy and roommate, Janell (sweet and sassy, beautiful soul, and character in spades), lifts and lightens my spirit with each note she sings; she is incredibly gifted and often leads worship at our evening meetings or while I'm in the shower and she sits on the bed. Our staff is stellar, last week this week, and I have the sneaking suspicion for the rest of the summer. Hmmm... thinking lunch might be on; chicken quesadillas today, on homemade tortillas I'll bet. Yeah, not going to be losing any weight on this trip. Love and miss you all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Meg,
Do yousuppose that God turns you into some kind of -sponge/perpetually multiplying kind of being,- where not only are you able to give and give and give but also able to love and love and love? you poop me out just thinking of all of the relationships you guys manage to build. And I know how personal they become on both sides! MOm