Saturday, June 10, 2006

Ah, life on Caye Caulker...

So we've survived our first trip. It's Saturday, and our next trip doesn't start 'til tomorrow so we've got an extra night on the caye. The cayes (pronounced "keys") are the islands that run along the barrier reef along Belize. Caye Caulker is the smaller, more laid back, "go slow" caye where you go to sleep in a hammock under a palm tree, listening to the water gently lap the shore, as cute Belizean kids play in the sand a few feet away. At least when there is not a tropical storm brewing off the coast. Yesterday was rainy and dark, so no hammock naps for me. In fact, if any of you think about us towards the end of these weeks, say a quick prayer for nicer weather; a few individuals had to miss out on snorkeling due to the weather yesterday. They were pretty bummed. All in all, the trip was a great success. Norman, who Mike and I told you about earlier, said that this group was a "dream," an answer to prayer for their little church. Hilda and Hesse, our two fabulous cooks/hostesses/friends, were moved to song and tears at various points on the trip. I think my favorite part about this whole experience thus far is the opportunity to expand on these relationships; these are beautiful people that I will get to see again. They are not only people I will look for in heaven, but my sisters, my friends. I look forward to seeing them again in the near future. When we said goodbye on this trip, Hilda held me a little longer in our embrace, I said a few sappy, inadequate statements like "thank you so much, God bless you, I'll see you again" and she started to cry. I love Hilda and Hesse and Norman and I will miss them this week...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg and Mike!! Well back here on the motherland things have been pretty calm. Im so excited that a week from today I will be in Belize with you guys!! I hope and pray that everything is going well, and I cant wait to see you both! Love you lots!!!!

mandy said...

I'm glad the first week went so well! Keep up the great work despite the yucky weather. I won't tell you about the weather in Hawaii right now...

Anonymous said...

dear schmoogs,
We could not find the phone # you referred to in your quick message on Saturday. We really wanted to call you! try again! Keep up the good work, and we love you tons! M0m

Amy said...

Duke and Jackson send their love from Utah. We're glad to keep up on what's going on!